FAQs / Managing your home loan

Switching your investment loan to owner occupied?

All FAQs

If you’ve moved into your investment property and become an owner occupier, you’ll need an owner occupier home loan. If you’re already an existing customer you’ll need to contact our post settlement team either by email (myloan@tictochomeloans.com) or call 1300 842 405 (select option 3)

And if you’re a new customer, you’ll need to refinance your home loan but you’ll be applying for an owner occupied (live-in) home loan instead of an investment. You also don’t need to record your rental income for that property in the application.